About The Blarney
Many people know about the Blarney Stone of Blarney Castle but the word "Blarney" itself needs a little more explaining.
The Blarney Castle stands in an Irish town called Blarney just 5 miles NW of Cork City. Originally built in the 10th century it was meant to be a wooden hunting lodge. The wooden lodge stood until 1210 when it was transformed into a stone castle. Around 1446 the castle was enlarged and strengthened as it stands today. The castle walls are 15 feet thick and rise 120 feet above the surrounding plains. Men standing in the towers could survey the entire area for an approaching enemy and it quickly became the strongest fortress in all of Munster.